The VI International Congress “Sport, People and Health” will be held in St. Petersburg (Russia) on October 18-20, 2013 within the framework of the Cultural Program of the SportAccord World Combat Games 2013. The Congress is focused on martial arts and combat sports world and its contribution to the global sports movement.
Principle Objectives of the Congress:
- To promote development of martial arts and combat sports as an important component of world sports and to use the power of sport to form a physically and morally healthy society;
- To advocate rapprochement and interaction between cultural traditions of East and West as the structural basis for modern civilization.
Practical Goals of the Congress:
- To ground the approaches to current classification of combat games and martial arts on a global scale; to clarify the basic definitions (combat sports, applied combat sports, fighting arts, martial arts, etc.).
- To study general, common and specific issues in the development of various combat techniques on the basis of a scientific approach and complex comparative analysis of various schools of martial arts, with special focus on their historical roots, philosophical doctrines, and national distinctions.
- To elaborate the basic criteria (indicators and specifications) that characterize the current state and prospects of development of combat sports and martial arts in the world.
- To present a general outline of the development of combat sports on the basis of elaborated criteria and to point out actual problems of combat sports and martial arts in the world.
- To explore the ways of resolving medical problems related to the training and competitions in combat sports and problems of traumatism in the course of practicing combat sports.
- To summarize the advanced experience and effective methods of treatment and rehabilitation in the case of trauma to martial artists and practicing athletes as well as in the case of sports veterans and disabled athletes.
- To discuss socio-psychological, judicial and ethical aspects in the development of combat sports.
- To discuss the role of mass media and media environment, as well as of literature and cinema in the development of martial arts and combat sports.